Home Page

What is SEN?

How does Shakespeare infant school know if children need extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational need?


“A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

(a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or

(b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.” Reference: DFE-00205-2013


• The four areas of special educational need are:

  • Communication and interaction,

  • Cognition and learning

  • Social, emotional and mental health

  • Sensory and or physical


• At Shakespeare Infant School we identify children as having SEN through a variety of ways including the following:-


• Excellent liaison and open communication with nursery school or previous school before joining Shakespeare Infant School. 


• Excellent liaison and open communication with outside agencies before joining and during your child’s time at Shakespeare Infant School. ( For example : medical services including health visitors, paediatric nurses and/or paediatricians, nurses, child psychiatrists, GPs, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, and occupational therapists.)


• Careful monitoring of pupils who are performing below age expected levels


• Concerns raised by Parents


• Concerns raised by a teacher for example when behaviour or self-esteem is affecting a child’s performance


• A health diagnosis through a paediatrician