Shakespeare Infant School

We Care

How do I get support?

How will school support my child?

Who will oversee, plan and work with my child and how often?


• Our INCo oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional support or adaptations across the school. She will liaise with any relevant professionals for advice where needed. She will have knowledge of the pattern of participation in school life of specific disabled pupils in school and communicate with the pupil and their family to not exclude a disabled student from school life because of their disability.  


• The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. They will in turn liaise with the INCo. They will have thorough knowledge of all SEND needs in their class. They will ensure leaning is accessible and adapted to individual needs. They will use scaffolding appropriate for the individual and resources to support a more graduated approach for example Little Wandle SEND phonics programme.



•HAMPSHIRE SEND uses a SEND Banding Framework

The bands referred to in the SEN Banding Framework apply to EHCP top-funding where a pupil attends a mainstream school only. The bands do not apply to EHC Plans where the pupil attends a special school, resourced provision within a mainstream school or any other place of education. Bands do not apply to Early Years or post-16 funding arrangements. 


The SEN Banding Framework is intended to be an evolving framework that is periodically updated to reflect the latest evidence of best practice. The descriptors within the SEN Banding Framework are not exhaustive and provision should not be limited to the content of the framework.


The SEN needs section describes needs at the three banding levels: SEN support, targeted (A and B) and enhanced (A and B) for the four overarching areas of need as set out by the SEND Code of Practice.


•The school will endeavour to train the adults in school to best support any disabilities your child may have. Their needs will be planned for and addressed within their learning environment. Some examples being – administering medication, having an understanding of mental ill health to best support an inclusive approach, providing adequate adjustments for a wheelchair and an emergency evacuation plan to support any safety concerns, taking advice from STA (Specialist Teacher Advisor) and mobility officers to ensure a child with visual impairment can access their learning, support with personal care.


• There may be an LSA (Learning Support Assistant) working with your child either individually, as part of a group and as part of the year group team; if this is seen as necessary by the class teacher. The LSA will work under the guidance of the class teacher and the INCo to provide the best outcomes for your child. A personal plan will indicate the timings and regularity of this support and be shared with you at parent/ teacher meetings and will be available on Arbor.

• A personal plan is a document that helps your child’s teacher to plan for your child, target areas of need, and review their progress. The personal plan contains details of short-term targets and strategies for your child, which is different from or additional to those in place for the rest of the group or class alongside their progress data. The aim is for any intervention your child receives will help them begin to close the gap between them and their classmates and Age Related Expectations. The teacher will follow a plan, do, and review cycle and feed back to you on your child’s progress. We wish you to feel involved all the way through the process.

• Our excellent support team of LSA’s have relevant up to date training on interventions and strategies to best meet the needs of your child and the outcomes set on the personal plans, health care plans and specific needs around disabilities. They work closely with the INCo and class teacher to monitor progress against the targets set and the outcomes for your child.


•On occasion a child with more specific Social Emotional and Mental Health Needs may require a Positive Behaviour Plan which describe the type of situations that a pupil finds difficult and what they and others can do to help them cope with distress. They are a useful way of encouraging those supporting the person to respond consistently and understand what maintains an individual's challenging behaviour.  They outline the behaviours your child presents and the underlying function of the behaviour. They plan proactive strategies specific to the individual and reactive strategies for when behaviours occur- agreed by school and parents in the best interest of the child. They will be regularly reviewed with the aim of reducing distress and therefore challenging behaviour. This may be accompanied by a Positive Handling Plan if it is felt they need careful support around theirs and others own safety, due to their stage of development. This would always be in agreement with parents to ensure the best outcomes for your child.