What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs or a disability?
How will I raise concerns if I need to?
• Please talk to us! Always first contact your child’s class teacher, who will then refer to our INCo (Mrs Mills). This can be done at parent meetings or on a more informal basis by making an appointment so you have plenty of time to share your concerns.
• Our INCo Mrs Mills runs a drop in clinic every Monday from 8.50am in the rainbow room. She will be happy to listen and respond to your concerns.
What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?
• Our INCo is fully qualified and accredited. She has over 20 years’ experience of working with SEN and children with Education Health Care Plans .
• As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual children’s needs within our school including:
Primary Behaviour Support
The Specialist Teacher Advisory Service working with children who are Deaf or Hearing impaired (HI) , have a visual impairment (VI), have a physical disability (PD), have Speech Language and Communication needs (SLCN).
Family Support Workers
Child and mental health service
GP, school nurse and paediatricians
First Aid training
Eastleigh Family Support Service - providing a range of parenting courses
Hampshire Specialist Parenting Support Service ( Parenting for children with ASD, ADHD and conduct disorder)
•These external agencies offer training and staff development opportunities, which Shakespeare staff access where necessary.
• Our INCo would be the first point of contact for these support services. They can also be accessed via the local authority page : https://fish.hants.gov.uk/kb5/hampshire/directory/localoffer.page
•A range of specialised intervention programmes are delivered to cover the specific needs of our children. These range from mathematics intervention to Speech and language programmes. All staff are kept up to date and have regular training to ensure the best possible outcomes for our pupils.